Tim Cook is one of Silicon Valley's most guarded figures. But a person doesn't remain a mystery for very long after taking the helm of one of the most closely watched companies in the world.
Here are 7 Facts about the Timothy Donald Cook, the man who launched iPhone 8:
1. Before joining Apple, Cook worked at former rival IBM for 16 years.
2.While working at IBM, he earned an MBA at Duke by taking night classes.
3. Cook was named CEO on the same day Jobs stepped down from the role. “The board never seriously considered naming anyone other than Cook to the position,”
4. Cook values philanthropy. He set up a corporate matching program for employees’ charitable donations (up to $10,000 a year) early on in his tenure as CEO.
5. Steve Jobs’ parting advice to Cook was “to never ask what [Jobs] would do; just to do what’s right.”
6. While some tech execs enjoy exotic vacations or yachting around the world, Cook’s ideal vacation is "hiking in Yosemite National Park.”
7. Over the years, recruiters have approached Cook with offers to serve as the CEO of other big tech companies like Dell and Motorola.